Reveling in the Riches of Christian Hymnody
For those who delight in the full depth and richness of our Psalm, hymn, and music heritage, this hymnal offers a wide selection of treasures, past and present.
In recent decades, hymnals have trended toward minimal content. Books with fewer selections, fewer stanzas, more repeated music and more white space, apparently sell well.
For those who want more, the Cantus Christi 2020 has been the most visible choice. Designed by and for Christ Church of Moscow, Idaho, this enormous volume maximized musical and textual content, aiming for depth, vigor and maturity. No other hymnal attempts it.
Treasury of Psalms and Hymns embraces this counter-trend. The editors worked to suit reformed churches who hold those musical and theological values, but who find that Cantus Christi 2020 is not exactly what they need. Starting with the 744 selections of that book, we removed about 150 we thought would not be widely used, added 250 which we found were currently being used in many reformed churches. Then we added about 300 more, mostly Psalms, which we thought would be well-received.
A complete comparison list is below:
The result is a smaller, thinner hymnal with 50% more music: a wealth of treasure to explore. It features:
- Over 1,100 selections.
- All the Psalms and many Scripture songs in a variety of settings.
- Most every classic hymn currently used by reformed congregations.
- A wide selection of Service Music.
- A full complement of indexes, including Scripture and topical indexes in a separate volume and on this website.
- No “filler.” We strictly avoided any tune or text which does not delight us.
- Retail price of $17.99 plus shipping. (Now shipping.)
- Bulletin-ready PDFs and recordings of all selections, and many alternatives, available from the editor for the asking.
Michael E. Owens